Re: UNCLAS//N11240//Re: [MV] Import/MV's

Antoine Compin (acompin@earthlink.net)
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 12:40:46 -0700

Hi Jack, and fellow listers,

I want to thank you, Jack for the "inside" information
concerning the legal travails around the State Department vs.
BATF about the "Form 6".

However, as I read your comments, I cringe when I read
generalizations concerning the "dovish" Democrats, the Clinton
Administration, the NRA, the theft of national secrets, the gays
in the military etc.... None of that belongs here, and
expressing these views is downright dangerous, as it fosters in
the "non-milveh-collector" reader's mind the notion that we ALL
are right-wingers, and ALSO a bunch of gun-toting crazies that
should be deprived of their toys... Well, it's a free country
and probably some of us are just that, but it would be
irresponsible to associate the entire MVPA membership of this
club to "a fringe element, a radical right wing militia group
bent on owning tanks".

I am convinced that restoring and owning Military Vehicles has
nothing, but NOTHING to do with the right to bear arms. I
believe that associationg ourselves AS A GROUP, OR CLUB with the
politics of the NRA is dangerous and irresponsible: the option
to support or not the NRA lobbying efforts is best left to the
individual in the membership, acting personally.

I, personally, favor some sort of reasonable gun control, as
opposed to the intransigeant and alienating demands of the NRA.
That does not get in the way of my collecting mil-vehs at all. I
am a Democrat also: that does not mean I get in a tizzy every
time I see olive-drab...MANY European MVPA club members would
probably also share the view that military firearms and military
vehicles are strange bedfellows.

Finally, "How can any intelligent, informed citizen honestly
expect" to believe that the Form-6 related difficulties within
the BATF are anything more than pure administrative gridlock?
Look at our numbers... The administration has a lot bigger fish
to fry than to deal with us collectors of military vehicles.

Antoine Compin

1943 Willys MB & '44 MBT
1942 Harley WLA
1942 Harley XA (two)