Re: [MV] Gas powered 5 ton question / AF Ambulance for sale

Dave Cole (davidacole@juno.com)
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 10:26:07 -0500

I've got a gas burning M51 dump. The engine is definitely not high tech,
it is the Continental R6602, 602 CU IN engine. It's a good design as I
have found or heard of no major problems with it. It starts easily,
needs minor maintenance other than the usual and is easy to work on. It
reminds me of a giant Chevrolet straight six engine. The downside of the
gas engine is that it uses a lot of gas. (But then my truck weighs
23,000 lbs empty!) Supposidly it is suppose to get about 4.5 mpg but I
get closer to 3. But then at least half of the time my truck is loaded
with 10 tons of dirt or rock also. The diesels get getter mileage,
something like 4-5 mpg loaded I've heard. So it's a trade off. Expect
to pay less for a gas unit than a diesel unit. I 've heard $4-5,000 less
often times or more. You can buy a lot of gas for the difference.

I wouldn't hesitate to bug a gas unit again, just make sure you don't pay
a diesel price.

Good Luck,

Dave Cole