Re: [MV] Ethical Question

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 21:31:43 -0500

>THE ETHICAL QUESTION: I'm torn between making a 100% exact replica, or making
>a 98% accurate copy. My reasoning behind this is that since these things are
>so scarce, some crook may try to pass them off as original if I made it 100%
>exact. I can duplicate the original nameplate and probably the original
>rubber parts, and make it 100%;......

Someone experianced can tell the difference between a laser cut and a die
cut edge. I make parts for Mules (and other things) and I try to make 100%
exact copies. However, there are always little tiny things that I can look
at and determine which is my copy and which is the original. I doubt few
people would ever be able to tell. But the fact that I can tell the
difference tells me that there would be others out there as well who could,
so I don't feel like I'm keeping some big secret. If you really are getting
so close that you cannot even tell yourself then maybe make some deliberate
minuscule changes, like a 0.030" chamfer instead of a 0.045", or a 0.45"
corner radius instead of a 0.500", for example. Since I'm not the one
actually selling the parts I haven't had to deal with how they get marked,
but I believe they are represented as reproductions not NOS.

Later,

je