Re: [MV] MVPA session MG's

MV List Admin (postmaster@skylee.com)
Thu, 2 Sep 99 20:30:40 -0700

Someone (names are irrelevant for this discussion) said:
> Also, please, guys, heed Arthur's recommendations and keep that
> stuff off the list.

Then someone else asked:

To which someone said:
>Don't go there..........................

This issue is well-understood by most list members. For those who
don't understand, or newcomers, here is a paragraph from what I
posted just yesterday:

"About firearms: I have allowed some brief discussion about ownership
of Class 3/Title II items, but there are many, many other venues
for discussion of their ownership, maintenance, politics, and so on. Please
restrict your topics to those related directly to privately owned
military vehicles (i.e. "How do I mount a pintle into an MXXX?"
or "What weapons should I assemble for my 1944 WC display?" etc.)"

I think this is quite clear. If you don't think so, let me know and
I will rewrite it.

Someone else asked:
>does this mean I can't ask questions about replicating its
>legitimate armament?

Of course not, and most members realize this.

>I could get really snide here, but this is a hell of a lot different
>than trying to discuss something an infantry re-enactor might want
>to run around the bush with.

It is, though if a person shows that the reenactment question is
related to his military vehicle, then it would be appropriate. A
question about what firearm to go plinking with would clearly not
be appropriate. The original question was on-topic, as was the fine
synopsis of the session. Likewise, follow-up questions and comments
that relate to military vehicles will be OK. It is only if the topic
drifts away from vehicles that I am compelled to step in.

Another comment:
>If somebody wants to mail the info to me privately, I'd be happy
>to publish it on my website for all to read at their leisure...

One of the changes I have in store for skylee could obviate the
need for this.

Someone else commented:
>It's odd how people forget that military vehicles and weapons go
>together. The Vehicles are either used as weapons, or they provide
>support for weapons.

This is a vehicle list, not a firearms list. Where the two clearly
overlap, we find legitimate topics for discussion. But when the
conversation drifts into purely firearms-related issues, take it
to a firearms list. I do not moderate the list because I expect you
to use your judgement. It really is as simple as that.

Someone else commented:
>This is a classic example of what still needs to be fixed with the list,

Periodically, we will be struck by these back-and-forths. In part,
it is due to the nature of the medium; it is easy to fire off a
reply without much thought. Also, the list is filled with people
who have knowledge of firearms, and it is tempting to draw upon
that body of knowledge. And sometimes people simply forget how they
are supposed to behave. My desire is to see these occurances
minimized. Sometimes judgements will be wrong, but note that I do
not come down too hard on people for off-topic messages. I post a
short "Do not post follow-ups to XYZ" and that is that. We have
operated under these rules quite happily for several years, and I
fully expect mil-veh to flourish for many more to come, and without
much tweaking.

>You could have easily just replied to the person instead of to
>the list, saving space and time for the rest of us

This is a good point. Followups are by default directed to the
original poster for a reason. If your comments will not enlighten
the list membership, send it to the original poster only. If,
however, you feel that the list as a whole can benefit from your
comments, then by all means edit the To header and send the message
to the list (and not to the original poster--he will receive a copy
via the list). Again, use your judgement.

Sorry for the long message, but I think it needed to be said.
However, I do not expect to see any further argument about this
issue. If you wish to comment, please feel free to e-mail me directly.

--Arthur Kyle, mil-veh list admin <ack@skylee.com>
Please do NOT quote my whole message back to me when replying