Re: [MV] M38 question carb question

SBJohnston@aol.com
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 14:06:31 EDT

John wrote

>seeps out very slowly where the fuel line goes into
>the carb, but I do not see any threads or anything

On my M38 with the Carter YS carb, the fuel line-to-carb connection is a
flared line/inlet seat compression fitting with a nut around the line to
tighten the flare into the seat (like a metal brake line). I've had some
seepage when the flare on the end of the line was deformed a bit (out of
round) and did not seat snugly into the inlet of the carb.

Teflon tape or putty would probably not do the job if the leak is at this
point, since the seal is where the fuel line meets the inlet, not the
threaded part.

I'd unthread the line from the inlet and take a look at the seat and the
flare and smooth out any burrs or deformities. Then put it back together
very tight using a brake-line style wrench if you've got one (box-end wrench
with an open slot in the end so you can slip it over the line).

On the other hand, perhaps the seepage is coming from the next joint in,
where the inlet fits into the carb body. When you screw it out you should
find a thin fiber washer behind it - maybe it is deformed or missing. That
would be a likely cause for a leak, too.

Steve Johnston

sbjohnston@aol.com