Re: [MV] found...mil truck owned by little old lady

COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 19:06:49 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Kerry Vanderzalm <kvanderz@home.com>

>I found a cool old military truck today near Vancouver Canada. ...I think
it is what is >called Canadian Military Pattern. ... General Motors 4X2
Right hand drive pick up style cargo truck (1/2 Ton?).
***** If owner is Mrs. Les Smith, I have photos of the truck as found up
north in dry country by her husband who belonged to our club.
>"General Motors Of Canada
>Oshawa Walkerville Regina
***** Oshawa was the main assembly plant. No CMPs were assembled in Regina
that I know of, though Regina appears on early data plates. (probably a left
over from pre-war regional assembly plants - Ford had one such in Burnaby BC
in 1937/8) Canadian Fords were built at Windsor.
>Model 84-20
***** This is a Chevrolet Department of National Defence - DND Pattern
(later renamed Canadian Military Pattern - CMP). The model was later
redesignated with the simpler code "C8". It is an 8 Cwt 4x2. These were used
in Canada, in UK early in war, Sicily & Italy a little bit, Malaya, and
North Africa. By D-Day they were obsolescent and pretty much replaced with
newer models for combat. Reserve units in Canada used a lot of them. Some
carried radios. A restored Ford version (F8) is in Aldergrove near Vancouver
BC with original bows. There is much interchangeability of parts between
Ford and Chev at this stage. 9,837 Ford and Chev 8 Cwt 4x2 were made in
WWII starting in May 1940. Do not confuse it with the popular HUP 8 Cwt
which came out in 1942. in Cab 13 style only.
>Serial 22842001330
***** It is the 1,330th vehicle made in that production year by Chevrolet.
The first digit as I recall tells the "production year" so it MAY be a late
1941 production which would make it a Cab 12. DND/CMP Cab 11 has fixed
windshield, no roof hatch. DND/CMP Cab 12 added opening windshield, and
suicide doors had large hook to hold them open, and there were two vents
added to the front of the vehicle, and a roof hatch to watch for enemy
aircraft (NOT really for a machinegunner as many assume). These changes were
based on battle reports from North Africa. Short box models 1A1 for
personnel or 1A2 for wireless. Early short box was short British type and
there was a HUGE toolbox/spare tire carrier between the cab and cargo box
and gas tanks were mounted behind the cab. A longer cargo box (1B1 pers &
wireless version 1B2) also came out in 1941 - Long box type did away with
big tool box/tire carrier and put gas tanks along sides of frame.
>Engine 3766091 Body serial 300
>Trim MR Paint F.C. 9D"
***** Quick ways to tell if vehicle is 8 Cwt or 15 Cwt. 8 Cwt had 9.00x13
tires and no steps below doors. 15 Cwt had 9.00x16 tires and sat higher, so
had a step under each door.
**** These 8 Cwt 4x2 DND/CMP trucks are well covered in Dr. William Gregg's
Canadian Military Historical Society - Canadian Military Vehicle Profiles
Series - Profile # 8.

***** The 9.00 x 13 tires are VERY rare and probably have to be obtained
from Australia - the last known source.

***** One local fellow has expressed interest in this vehicle and we would
be glad to help him. I started off my MV collecting with two of these (Ford
F8 version) and found LOTS more of them in the Prairies. Bill Gregg restored
a C8 and it is in Shilo, MB now. Crown Surplus Stores in Calgary AB had one
too (since sold I believe).

**** I MAY have a photo of this particular truck c. 1945 as I have a photo
of a field full of these 8 Cwt trucks surplus in Vancouver BC after W.W. II.
I also have copies of colour slides of Universal Carriers and one of an 8
Cwt 4x2 Cab 12 from the rear - these were with 2nd Bn. Seaforth Highlanders
of Canada in Vancouver, BC. while the 1st Bn was overseas with the 1st
Canadian Infantry Division in UK, Sicily, Italy, and Holland.

**** This vehicle sounds quite complete and it would be nice to see it
saved.

>I'm a jeep guy
>Kerry
***** So am I - but I like CMPs too. Lets talk off list colin@pacdat.net

***** We have a club here in Vancouver, BC, CANADA. WESTERN COMMAND
MILITARY VEHICLE HISTORICAL SOCIETY. We meet 2nd Wed each month upstairs in
Army Navy & Air Force Veterans' Club on Imperial in Burnaby between Kingsway
and Royal Oak. Usually members bring a couple of MVs to the meeting. Start
about 8 pm. Come on out! We have information, access to parts, advice, info
on markings etc. I will be at PNE tomorrow (Sat Sep 4) with DND's display
near main gate and we have two of our club MVs there (M16 half-track and
Dingo armoured scout car). I plan to take my BSA folding army bike and wear
a WWII paratrooper uniform.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
& member B Coy 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion (Living History)
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada (near Vancouver)
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net