Re: [MV] Winches

Ben Bargabus (ben_b@primenet.com)
Wed, 08 Sep 1999 15:47:46 -0700

keats wrote:

> > > I am no expert at all when it comes to winches, but I assume you
> > > guys generally use block and tackle to divide your pulled load
> > > by two, right? I haven't seen that mentioned in the thread
> > > yet...
> > ===============================
> > Sorry if I repeat others, but noticed the above and have to add, when
> using
> > a block, you muliply your winches pulling power roughly by two,that is
> > double the capacity, but decrease the speed of the pull.

Pulling a stuck Blazer (CUCV??) out of the mud last weekend we had to
use 3 snatch blocks (block and tackle in MV terminology) with an 8000#
winch (that's 32,000# of pulling force). Straightened one tow hook,
broke the other in half, pulled the rear crossmember out of the frame
and then finally pulled him out. Took eight hours altogether. The mud
hole didn't look that deep.
Later,
Ben.
(no MV's yet but 5 jeeps, 3 chevs, and 2 eagle wagons - 5 ton coming
soon)

PS on easy pulls I prefer not to use a snatch block because of the speed
decrease and the additional cable that has to be respooled afterwards.
I'll generally attempt without one first and if the winch stalls out add
a snatch block, if it happens again add a second one etc... That's an
electric winch though, I wouldn't want to break a shear pin, add a
snatch block, break another shear pin, add another snatch block...