Re: [MV] Winches

Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 16:09:51 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ben Bargabus <ben_b@primenet.com> wrote:
> <snip>
> > operation for the vehicle in question. That way
> the subject of
> > anchoring the truck is covered, too. You know,
> where it says not to
> > use the service brakes when winching? Too bad it
> doesn't tell you why!
>

> Probably because it's too easy to break stuff,
> winching at a down angle
> (which is most of the time since people usually get
> stuck in holes) puts
> a lot of additional weight on the vehicle, traction
> generally comes with
> that weight. Now combine that with the winch
> attempting to pull the
> vehicle forward and having the brakes on could break
> brake componants.
> I usually just anchor to a tree or large rock with a
> strap on the back
> of the truck and leave the tranny in neutral (auto)
> and brakes off.
++++++++++++++++++
That's the one!

It'll break the rivets off from your brake shoes. The M-135/211's have
an electric valve in the brake line that keeps the brakes on, but it
shouldn't be used alone. The books I mentioned show several ways to
anchor the truck.

Also, winching downward puts a BIG strain on the front springs.

The M-135/211 winch is designed so that if the angle-of-pull is too
much to one side, the cable will ride up over the bumper and jam. That
WASN'T a stupid idea! That was because the designers knew that if the
winch was used in a side pull situation the steering gear and wheel
bearings would be damaged.

Even with a "fairlead", that's the pulley or roller system seen on some
winches, you should be aware of the possibility of damage from this
type of strain on the front axle.

Back to the book here! They show the minimum distance between the
truck and the "direction changing" snatch block. For a drum as wide as
the ones we're talking about the block should be 24' from the winch so
the cable can travel back and forth on the drum to wind up evenly, too
close and the cable will bunch up in the middle.

The rib in the middle of the hood is a handy sight for pointing the
truck right at the load so the cable will roll up evenly, too.

Joe F.