Re: [MV] M38 Leaf Spring Lubrication???

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 22:34:19 -0500

>My question is why use old engine oil? You take it out if the motor
>because it is dirty, then you put it in/on your springs and you have
>instant dirt in your springs without even driving. When I did the springs
>on my jeep I very lightly put a coat of grease on the tips of the springs
>when they have the most motion. Do not use too much grease as it will soon
>collect dirt.

Somewhere I saw were they put strips of some plastic between the leaves.
Not sure what plastic, a nylon maybe. I would think most of the
thermoplastics would flow to easy and the acetal's, etc might crack to
easy???? . The other issue would be, do you have the strip go full length
such that they are subject to the pressures of the U bolts, or just shorter
pieces at the ends? Hmmm, oil is a lot easier!

je