Re: [MV] Mil-veh at classic car show

COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 01:04:50 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: LEEnCALIF@aol.com <LEEnCALIF@aol.com>
To: Mil-veh@skylee.com <Mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: Saturday, September 25, 1999 3:31 PM
Subject: [MV] Mil-veh at classic car show

>Once again we're breaking new ground at a rather prestigious car show. Our
>Ferret Mk 2/3 will soon be surrounded by Ferrari's, Lamborgini's, Jags,
>Mercedes and more. ...
==================
Our club, Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society, in British
Columbia, CANADA is also having fun doing this kind of thing. We take our
MVs to vintage car shows and to Concours d'Elegance all over the place where
we have now earned special allocation of space in one big show due to the
different and interesting nature of our displays. Members Ian Newby and
Caro and Ian MacArthur like to take their military Land Rovers on the "All
British Run" from Vancouver to Whistler / Blackcombe (a famous and fabulous
ski resort north of the city). Shall we say, they do get noticed and have
fun - getting more attention with the old MVs than a super expensive sports
car does!

Our Air Force Reserves brought out their 'new' DAREOD (a bomb disposal /
bull-dozer version of the M113 APC with turret) to several shows including
one show in a park. The organizers awarded them a prize and insisted that
they join the victory parade for winning vehicles - across the grass, over
power cables, and a tight circle route around the band stand, in a crowd of
people. Well - they insisted! The Air Force types were as gentle as they
could be in the turns and a bunch of us ran outrider duty (keeping the
tracks clear of human flesh) but shall we simply say that the parks
maintenance people in Mission BC wondered what had happened to their lovely
heritage park when they came in to clean up afterwards! There was no
mistaking that a tracked machine had chewed up their grass!

Yes I know, we need MORE tracked armour at our events. One local fellow
drove his restored Universal Carrier Mk. I / II in a local parade a few
weeks ago but we only saw it go by. It and his lovely F15A CMP did not join
the other MVs on display but were loaded up and trucked away right after the
parade - a pity. Our club also has a couple of running half-tracks - a mint
restored one with the quad 50 turret on the rear (turret works, guns don't).

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
& member B Coy 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion (Living History)
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB