Re: [MV] Coil failure question?

Antoine (antoine@usa.net)
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 23:14:13 -0700

Unless you' re an expert and have good metering tools and skills
at your disposal, coil problems on vintage 6V MV's are really
hard to diagnose... for us common mortals, either it works or it
does not... the simplest way to deal with it is to substitute a
good, known-to-work coil for the presumably defective coil and
sees if your problem goes away...
Of course, before doing that you will have run simple tests for
ground and continuity, these are easy, even I can do it...It
happened to me several times either on the bikes or on my MB...
Coils tend to run warm when there is current going through, that
is not unusual. But if it gets too hot to the touch and shuts
down, it probably means that there is somewhere some part inside
that dilates from the heat and moves to contact and short the
works out...
My 2 centimes...
Antoine
http://www.freehomepages.com/antoine