Re: [MV] Silicone Brake Fluid - About Dean's comment.

dloucks (dloucks@DonLoucks.org)
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 22:32:41 -0500

Okay, here is my experience with silicone brake fluid.

I started using it 15 years ago when I was autocross racing and would routinely
cook my brakes. Silicone fluid has very good heat resistance.

Silicone brake fluid is 2% more compressible than glycol-based brake fluid.
You might feel the difference, I cannot.

Silicone fluid tends to hold bubbles introduced from pouring more tenaciously
than standard fluid. Therefore, time should be taken between filling a
reservoir and bleeding/use to prevent bubbles from entering the lines.

Silicone fluid WILL NOT absorb water, which is what causes the crud to build up
in wheel cylinders and lines over time.

I convert all my vehicles to silicone fluid and never have any problems.

Don Loucks