Re: [MV] M38A1 Front-End Shimmy

fv74@altavista.net
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 07:36:57 -0500 (EST)

Bob, You should check the following items for looseness: king pin bearings, bell crank pivot, tie rod ends, steering box, wheel bearings and even the six bolts that hold your spindles on. Ideally you should have no more than 1 inch of play in your steering wheel with the wheels pointed straight ahead. You can adjust the steering box by tightening the screw on the side of the box. Do this with the front wheels off the ground and check the full lock to lock steering travel for any tight spots. If you find a tight spot, back off the screw until it is free. Re tighten the locknut. One of my spindles was worn undersize and had to be replaced. My steering box also needed a rebuild. Good Luck.

Dave Fillman
45 MB