Re: [MV] Beltring 2000

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 09:24:36 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Antoine <antoine@usa.net>
To: "Mil-Veh" <mil-veh@skylee.com>; Robin Craig <therobincraig@home.com>
Cc: NIGEL HAY <Nigel@milweb.net>
Date: 31 October 1999 18:53
Subject: Re: [MV] Beltring 2000

>one BIG QUESTION, the answer to which will determine our final
>committment to go or not: Security on the premises, and assigned
>"protected" space:

There is no formal security or "protected" space, tape off your own area, post
your own guard. It is a HUGE site, its normally packed, Y2K I guess it'll be
full to busting.

Generally the larger mass of UK visitors are reasonably reserved and do not duck
into taped areas or fiddle, however it can't be guaranteed. Our entourage do
not leave their vehicles unattended and we pitch along with the German
contingent well away from the dust and noise, this group, who we know well keep
a watchful eye on their vehicles and the type of visitor for reasons we'll leave
alone at present.

We can doubtless find you some more secure space nearby with some mutual
guarding, keep in touch as time progresses.

>leave one of us in attendance,
>in contact via our helmet two-way radios. If it is not allowed
>at Beltring, then, it's a NO-GO...

The European licence exempt 49MHz, 1mW radios will be pretty useless at Beltring
and in the UK. You will not get any more than 400yds at best, there are loads
of people with them and the band is highly used in this compact country with
cordless phones, baby alarms, kids, wireless door bells etc.

I'll deal with radio in another mail.

Richard
(Southampton UK)