Re: [MV] AAAAuuugh! Frozen lug nuts!!!!

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 08:21:28 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: mblair1@home.net <mblair1@home.net>
To: Mil-Veh@skylee.com <Mil-Veh@skylee.com>
Date: 09 November 1999 05:02
Subject: Re: [MV] AAAAuuugh! Frozen lug nuts!!!!

>"William R. Benson" <Benson@eqe.com> wrote:
>> This week end was the weekend that I was supposed to take off all of the
>> wheels of my M-37, remove the brake cylinders, clean up everything, and
>> take the truck on a little spin around the block.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I couldn't even budge one of the lug nuts...
>
>I had the same problem a little over a week ago on my 2.5-ton... my
>3/4" drive impact wrench wouldn't budge one of the inner lugs on a
>rear axle.

A decent windy gun, impact sockets and plenty of air is a worthwhile
accoutrement when attacking the bigger stuff, it is sometimes helpful to flip
the gun from forward to reverse a few times when freeing really stuck nuts and
the tighten-a-tad-first technique often works with all sorts of stuck fasteners
including wood-screws.

Two words of caution, having gotten converted to the generally instant and
no-sweat power removal of hardware be very circumspect about replacing most
things with the impact driver as even on low settings it can seriously damage
your toy in an instant.

Mark is spot on with the big and generally very tight wheel (lug) nuts to use
the driver to run them up then snug to torque with a more calibrated set-up.

For many jobs I find a proportionally weedy 50 ft lb max, right angle air driver
excellent in reaching those really inaccessible fasteners that otherwise would
be one click at a time with the socket set (these are the ones that are always
stiff all the way off), anybody who has had any FV600 series vehicle apart will
know.

While we're on the subject of wheel (lug) nuts the FV 601, 603, 604, 610, 611,
620, 622, 623 and 624 have alloy wheel rims. The early FV 603, 604, 610 and 611
were fitted with steel wheels but EMER V619 had them all replaced with alloy in
1976 and the mil had all sorts of wheel trouble as drivers used the regular
steel rim technique - a very long lever and jump on it.

Further EMERs were issued requiring all these alloy wheels to be removed for
inspection as many had the rim countersinks spread out through over-tightening
and service schedules were amended with torque figures. These alloy rims are
specified for 200-210ft lbs.

Richard
(Southampton UK)