Re: [MV] alternators

jim gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 18:31:54 -0500

David wrote:

>Does anyone know if the 24V alternator in the M37 (Dodge) is the
>same/interchanges
>with the alternator in the GMC M211 vehicles.
>If not the whole unit then could I use just the pulley from the duece on my
>exisiting M37 unit?

The M-37 and the M-211 use generators not alternators. Some trucks
may have been fitted with the later alternator unit such as the M-151-A2
used. If you have a regulator in the electrical system then you should be
using a generator. You can not interchange between a generator and an
alternator without modifying the wiring harness. All generators with the
same amp rating will interchange. Only the pulley is different. You need
to find out what amp rating your gen is then make sure the replacement is
the same. You cannot for example, replace a 20 amp gen with a 100 amp one.
If your truck has been modified for a later 60 amp alternator you must then
replace it with another alt.
NOTICE......when you replace a generator you must polarize it first
before hooking it up or it may not charge your system! Your vehicle TM
will have the instructions on how to do this. DO NOT attempt to polarize
an alternator. The 60 amp unit has a rectifier built inside it and does
not require this.

Jim Gilmore MVPA # 5843

Member Ist Michigan AOD Chapter MVPA
Great Lakes Chapter MVPA