Re: [MV] M38A1C (106mm) & M38A1CDN2 & 3 106mm jeeps

COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 12:53:10 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: David <davejodi@epix.net>
To: Military Vehicles List <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: Thursday, November 25, 1999 11:04 AM
Subject: [MV] M38A1C in NE PA, NJ, NY area

...>If anybody knows of any 'net sites w/ good pix on it, I finally found a
good picture in a book ...
>of a -C model and form the back it looks like my '52. If mine really is
>a -C model I would of course like to restore it as one.
****** A back issue of Army Motors (MVPA) featured a restored M38A1C 106mm
jeep.
>...Of course, I won't be able to paint it as a Military Police jeep, if
it's
>got a recoilless rifle mounted!
****** Maybe you could. I wonder if any US military police jeeps in Vietnam
carried the 106mm? It would make a slow chase vehicle, but then again, why
bother to chase when you have a 106mm with .50 cal gun. "Spotter round on
target, then .... WHAM! " Suspect stopped. I seem to recall seeing photos
of US MPs in Viet Nam driving some very unusual vehicles, especially if
tasked with airfield defence. Incidently Ian Fryatt in Burnaby, British
Columbia has an ex-US MP V-100 armoured car that was used in Viet Nam and
later for niuclear security. It is now restored and he rents it out to the
movies through his company "Phoenix 1". I believe it was his Hummer and
2-1/2 tons in the movie "Y2K" which aired the other night.

>BTW, an M38A1C is a standard M38A1 with a recoilless rifle (106mm)
>mounted on the back.

********* I have original army instructions for converting Canadian
M38A1CDN2 and M38A1CDN3 jeeps to 106mm configurations. Main difference seems
to be that later model had a high canvas top - bows were extended and canvas
top and sides were a full enclosere with the gun (muzzle protruding), and
crew sitting in jump seats. Other than this, does anyone know if the
Canadian configuration was the same or nearly so as the US configuration? If
you are interested in a copy of these instructions, contact me offline at
colin@pacdat.net. Any proceeds go to fixing up my ex-British & ex-Norwegian
Army 1944 MB and 1942 BSA airborne bicycle.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
& member B Coy 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion (Living History)
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB