Re: [MV] grease fittings

From: keats (keats@gateway.net)
Date: Sat Dec 11 1999 - 13:04:36 PST

> > If it is indeed a PLUG then remove it before applying grease as this is
> > where the release valve is on civilian Jeeps. Civilian Jeeps have a
nice
> > pressure valve installed at this point, and when grease in applied, the
> > valve will pop up and release excess grease before it allowed through
> > seals. When the grease starts coming out of this hole, then bearing is
> >regreased. Military used plugs for fording purposes.
>
> Some of the older axles had just a weep hole. This hole usually is
plugged
> with dirt and rust. If you clean the hole out, the excess grease will
come
> out the hole.
You jogged the old brain, and I recall on my M-series that the "plug" on
the top of the axle is indeeed a pressure release valve type fitting, so
check close and remove it to clean it and check it for proper function. The
center of this fitting is pushed upward to release excessive grease. It
does look like a pipe plug at first glance, but may not be. My CJ's do have
only a weep hole that grease can escape, and have always wanted to install
these valves but haven't.