Re: [MV] Registration help

From: Mel Miller (nourmahal@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Dec 13 1999 - 09:22:43 PST

Damon,

I know nothing about the laws in your state but, in general, state
DMV's/DOT's have appeals processes by which unusual situations are
resolved in a hearing process. Many clerks (front line snuffies) at
offices do not think to offer such procedures. You need to go up the
chain of command to a supervisor or department head and explain your
situation, i.e., the vehicle is old enough to qualify for the plate; it
is NOT going to be used for commercial purposes; it is NOT any of the
other categories, so logically it is either a 'car' (motorized vehicle
not anything else) or an 'antique'. If you argue logically during the
hearing you will probably get your exception to the rule.

I own a 1965 Lincoln Continental convertible whose unladen weight is
6,512lbs, its GVW must be over 7,500.lbs. I do not know what your states
age limit is, but when these cars reach that age it would be hard to
argue that they should not qualify for antique plates.

Drive On!
Mel Miller
M725