Re: [MV] Registration help

From: jim gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Date: Mon Dec 13 1999 - 10:50:21 PST

Damon wrote

>I was about an inch away from getting an
>antique plate when she asked me GVW. Turns
>out that Maine antique plates are for GVW <6000#.
>She quoted me commercial registration at >400$
>a year. I could push it into motorhome (this is
>a open bed cargo) class at $300 per year.

>Anyone have any thoughts as to how else I
>could register this ?

      Years ago I had a M-211 (GMC 2 1/2 ton 6x6) and found another
"loophole" in the Motor Vehicle Code. I also had a rusty 1982 Toyota pick
up that I used to go to and from my job in the inner city of Detroit. (no
self-respecting car thief would touch it!) Every year I would buy new
plates for my Toyota and a month later I would transfer them to the M-211.
Then I would buy another set for the Toyota. Cost to transfer the plates
was $5.00 or $7.00 and it was perfectly legal. Seems that the weight
(16,000 lbs) did not matter when transferring plates. I don't know if this
will work in any other state or even if it is still valid in Michigan but
it may be worth a try. When I titled my first HUMMER in 1989 I transferred
the plates off my Honda car to it. Much cheaper than new plates would have
been (besides the Honda was dead!).

  BTW.......Michigan does not require a vehicle weight for getting antique
plates. In fact, my title for my 1951 Kaiser 4 dr. De Lux car has no weight
listed on it.

           Jim Gilmore MVPA # 5843

Member Ist Michigan AOD Chapter MVPA
               Great Lakes Chapter MVPA