Re: [MV] Ferret Juices

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Dec 19 1999 - 14:26:50 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Wallace <iwallace@uswest.net>
To: Mil-veh@skylee.com <Mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 19 December 1999 19:17
Subject: [MV] Ferret Juices

Ian,

>Although I have the "User Handbook, Scout Car, Ferret, All Marks", the
>lubricants are described using the British military nomenclature.
>Although I was born in UK, I still can't decipher the specifications, so
>the question is: Where may one look up the US equivalent of the various
>UK products? Oil weight?

I seem to recall going round this before, but whatever,

OMD110 - (Oil, Mineral, Detergent) SAE 30 detergent engine oil to MIL 2104B, C
or D the current spec. Your book might list OMD 75 which is a very old spec
10W/30 which the mil had a brief affair with, RR recommend SAE 30 as it was
designed for and tested with. The B Range engine is designed oil hungry and
modern multigrades make a very aggressive metallic ash when burnt, some
designed, oil-using engines, will not tolerate multigrades at all, eg., Detroit
Diesel two cycles. Bat-wing felt oil filters are readily available here, the
paper "equivalent" is a Crosland #432 - these are obtainable over there from
Crosland or their agents.

Fully hot, oil included, the engine should show 30psi (relief valve pressure)
from 1000rpm up, extended high revs might show 40psi, and is acceptable with
2psi at idle.

The epicyclic gearbox MUST have SAE 30, under NO CIRCUMSTANCES put gear oil in
the gearbox.

OEP 220 - (Oil, Extreme Pressure) SAE90EP, Hypoid 90, 80W/90EP, GO or call it
what you will, is used in the rest of the transmission, - transfer box, bevel
boxes, tracta cases and hubs.

OM13 - ISO 15 hydraulic oil. Put nothing else in the fluid flywheel, certainly
not ATF or Dextron, unless you like chewing gum seals that is. Any ISO 15
hydraulic oil will do, Shell Clavus 15, Tellus R10, Fina Cirkan 15 or the direct
commercial equivalent with the same batch release and aero qualification
(re-mortgage house first), (Fuchs Lubricants) Silkolene 779.

Ferrets had OM 13 in the brake hydraulics too early on and most were changed to
ordinary DOT 4 (OX 8), some may still be on OM 13 and brake fluid will kill the
seals immediately. Helpfully brake parts for OM 13 were coded with a green
splash of paint as manufactured. After assembly they soon became all green with
the rest of the vehicle.

I have not tried this and cannot (obviously) recommend it, hydraulic mineral oil
tastes entirely different to brake fluid. . . . . . . . . .

XG279 - calcium based grease.

AL3 - Antifreeze. Must be in use at all times. I fully expect you'll find the
t/stat apparently stuck open as it will warm slowly and not make more than
possibly 40ºC, let me know if this is the case as its likely fixable.

All B Range RR engines seem to suffer first start idle icing in cooler temps on
UK high volatility, anti-pollution on start, pump fuel most likely designed for
injection systems, in fact everybody with an older carburated vehicle has some
trouble. The fine wire platinum plugs RSN 13P easily get carbon fouled on rich
mixtures and mis-fire, they will not self-clear. My, and others previous
experience with platinum plugs in both cars and motorcycles suggest they are not
the easy starters that is claimed, well, often total non-starters after very
little use.

I am currently running an experiment in a B81 with more usual, regular, extended
nose, screened, RSN 12Y plugs as used in the Jaguar engined Fox and Scorpion.
More later.

Richard
(Southampton UK)