Re: [MV] Info. request--LMC 1500

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Sun Dec 26 1999 - 22:35:43 PST

>Hello friends, In the never ending search for OD junk, I found an unusual "
>off the shelf MV." The thing that makes it so unusual is not what it is but
>WHERE it is. It is a LMC 1500 Snow Tractor

Oh no.... You lucky dog you. I am fascinated by these things. Someday I
will own one, mark my words. The original company was called Thiokol out of
Logan UT. I'm not sure of the details of the DeLorian years, but know that
as of a couple years ago they were still a viable company but now running
under the name LMC only, although I thought the LMC stood for Logan
Manufactering Company, maybe I am wrong. The earlier Thiokol units
(hydromasters) where also used by the military and are shown in earlier
Janes books, the 1500 your looking at I think is shown in the current or
just recent Janes books.

> 1. Would such a vehicle be useful in the mud and swamps of the southeast
>(not much snow) or would the tracks wear out too soon on the occasional road
>crossings or rocky soil?

I have a similar application and have always thought, after studying the
tracks on the new ones, that a guy could cut down the blades or weld 2
pieces onto the blade to make a triangle such that it won't dig in as much.
It would not climb a 100% grade like this but it would be much easier on the
drivetrain on non-snow terrain.

> 4. Can someone point me to a website to learn more about it.

Been looking but have not found one yet. Company does exist but they do not
seem real interested in their older vehicles. I tried getting manuals and
was totally ignored.

Let me know how this goes, I'm very interested.

je

To unsubscribe, send e-mail to: <mil-veh-off@uller.skylee.com>
To switch to the DIGEST mode, send e-mail to <mil-veh-digest@uller.skylee.com>
Send administrative queries to <mil-veh-request@uller.skylee.com>