[MV] 2.5-ton multifuel oil filter change

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Tue Dec 28 1999 - 09:05:11 PST

I did my first oil and filter change on my M109A3 2.5-ton shop van
(with an LDT-465-1C engine) yesterday, and I found that an interesting
modification was made to it sometime during its career. The pipe plug
on the oil cooler, which you would normally remove to drain the filter
bodies if you do the oil change "by the book", has been replaced with
a small valve which looks similar to the one used for the engine block
coolant drain. There's a small non-barbed hose nipple on the end, so
by attaching a length of rubber hose, I was able to drain the last
dregs from the filter body very easily without making a mess. I got my
truck from the DRMS, so I believe that this modification was made by
the military. I couldn't get a good picture of the valve, because my
truck's hot water personnel heater was in the way.

Has anybody else seen this modification? I think that the oil change
would have been more difficult and much messier without it.

By the way, you might remember that I recently expressed doubts about
whether the Wix fuel filter replacements that are commonly recommended
for the LDT-465 are correct. I still think they're not, but the Wix
51133 oil filters look just fine. I plan to contact Wix to find better
matches for the fuel filters soon, but I've been too busy so far due
to the holidays, work, and buying my new M998.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/