Re: [MV] BSA airborne bicycle

From: COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 01:12:52 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Danny Bosma <amigadb@dds.nl>
To: Military Vehicles List <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>
Date: Thursday, January 06, 2000 1:45 PM
Subject: [MV] BSA parabicycle

****** The proper name is the "AIRBORNE BICYCLE". This comes from the only
manual we have found which directly covers it - the Airborne Forces Manual
(reprinted by RAF Museum). Collectors have been calling them "parabikes" in
England for years but there is no evidence that I have seen that this was
ever an official or even a military slang term and it even appears to really
come from the post-war versions.

>Does anybody know if the famous British BSA parabicycle was produced after
>the war as well ?
***** Not for the military as far as we know. A smaller civilian version for
kids was made, and currently there is a civilian version of the BSA folding
bicycle 'improved' for sale on the internet.

***** Yes, a lot.

>In which countries where the BSA bicycles used after the war?
***** By military? No information. My best guess is none except as runabouts
on bases etc.? They were obsolescent by the end of WWII.

>How about markings/stamps ?
***** See reply by Craig Johnson. Don't forget the SERIAL NUMBER ! Most
people miss this. It is stamped deeply into the left rear drop out (under
axle). Starts with letter R followed by number. On on of my bikes the
military had painted some identification numbers and similar markings show
up in one photo of No. 9 Commando loading onto an MTB for a raid.

>Are there any ?
>Where they dated?
***** No date. Production started mid-1942. Probably ended by 1944. No
production records unearthed as far as I know. Up to R7XXX was early model
with seat mounted BEHIND twin upright tubes. By R12463 (mine) was second
model. Highest recorded number so far is R72380.

>What are the things to look for if one would like to buy one.
****** See Craig Johnson's reply. Pedals should be rod type that push
in/pull out OR wartime modification with wood blocks. Chain wheel should
have BSA in big cut-out letters. Tool bag and pump are nice accessories to
have. Original brakes are nice as are original tires and rims.

****** Original parts are vitually unobtainable. Replic decals (transfers),
seats and grips are being made in UK.

***** I am writing an article on these bikes for ARMY MOTORS . The draft is
about 30 pages long, so I have to shorten it! That is also before photos!

****** I have a database of BSA airborne bicycle serial numbers (including
owners) and would be delighted to hear from other owners etc.

***** One (much civilianized) was recently listed on the Internet for sale
as a German bike!

****** A fair number are turning up in Canada and the USA but they are still
rare and collectable. They were sold surplus in Canada by the Hudson's Bay
Company for about $9.95 (1950s?). Lady who bought hers then and told me
this, but will not sell hers. I also heard that they were sold surplus by
Capital Iron in Victoria, BC for about $3.99 (again in 1940s-1950s?)

******* My complete original bike is shown on my website below.

>Thanks,
>
>Danny Bosma
>The Netherlands
>(amigadb@dds.nl)

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
& member B Coy 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion (Living History)
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB