Re[2]: [MV] Ruined Restoration Job

From: James Burrill (jburrill@dttus.com)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 05:54:48 PST

     Hi Folks,

     My take on this is to have whatever is needful to drive safely on the
     public highways (turn signals, better brake lights etc.) and then take
     a few minutes at a reenactment or display, and take all that cra..ugh,
     non period stuff off.

     My CMP doesn't come with turn signals, but with a right hand drive
     vehicle, I *really* want them, so I bought two pair of the emergency
     brake/turn signal lamps, the kind that are held on with bodacious
     magnets, and wired them into the truck. I have pull apart connectors
     so i can take all four lamps off in about 2 minutes. Sure, if you want
     to crawl under the truck, you can find an extra set of wires running,
     but I get the safety AND can loose them quickly to look authentic.

     The turn signal arm is a period after market affair that I have
     painted OD to match the dash. It looks original and can still be
     easily removed if I show the truck.

     License plate? Well In PA you only need the rear one, and I have
     Antique plates. As I said, it is visible on the highways but two
     minutes with a screwdriver and 'Voila!" it eees gone!

     I am just glad My state does not require you to put some kind of
     sticker in the windshield.

     On that note...let me ask the list...Why go through all the trouble to
     be as authentic as you can and then stick rally decals and club
     stickers in your windshield? They are far worse to disguise than
     license plates! And American flags! I am a pretty patriotic fellow
     myself, but did the average WWII Jeep have a 3 x 5 US flag decal in
     the window?? I think not!

     With everyone thinking my Canadian CMP 15cwt truck is US because it is
     OD, you can bet I would like to stick a Union Jack on it somewhere (It
     is marked as Guards Armoured Div, btw) But refrain because they didn't
     do it in WWII.

     Ok, my tuppance worth.

     Cheers!
     Jim Burrill