Re: [MV] Windshields down

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 14:17:36 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Towers <mtowers@texas.net>
To: Military Vehicles List <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>; Richard Notton
<Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk>
Date: 21 February 2000 15:46
Subject: Re: [MV] Windshields down

>Richard, Old Boy:
>The Land of the Free still DOES exist. For instance, I get up every morning
>and strap on a Colt .45.--all perfectly legally.

But WHY ?

>BTW: What kind of piece do YOU carry?

Have no desire or need for any dumb metal encumbrance although I'd admit to a
gun fascination.

>As for MVs, I drive my M35A2C around pretty much anywhere I want, just
>obeying the usual traffic laws. Windshield open/closed/down, etc. Frequently
>I have a bunch of Cub Scouts in the back, or 1500lb round bales of hay. I do
>this, all perfectly legally, with an ordinary drivers license. I do have to
>pay about $125USD a year for liability insurance.

Here too I drive the FV623 (34,320lb all up) anywhere it fits and some places it
doesn't, initially. No CDL, air brake, tag, insurance hassles or their
equivalent and that goes for padded tracked vehicles too up to max legal width.

>One more thing: The Land of the Free is also The Home of the Brave, as I'm
>sure you will recall from history. So, y'all come on down to Texas and we'll
>teach you what freedom means, and perhaps even how to fight for it. (I am
>also a licensed police and civilian firearms instructor.)

Personally, I'd rather not need to carry a firearm for _whatever_ reason, that
doesn't exactly strike me as free or brave but it does sound a bit like the now
discarded policy of MAD.

Mutually Assured Destruction.

>God Save the Queen

Someone has to, her kids are giving her a hard enough time of it.

>God Bless George W. Bush, Governor of the State of Texas

We're watching. . . . . . . . . . . .

Richard
(Southampton - England)