[MV] Hitler Car?

From: Raimondo L. Torelli (thealamo@iigbna.iigb.na.cnr.it)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 02:04:06 PST

At 23.30 25/02/00 -0000, you wrote:
>Date: 25 February 2000 18:10
>Subject: [MV] Hitler Car?
>Can anyone provide any additional info about this story?
> ... snip ...
> price-hiking stories of
>"Hitler's car" keep surfacing a bit like Titanic gold.
>
>The Mercedes G4/W31 (6x4) was favoured by Hitler and also used by the
other>Reich Marschals together with alternative large MB Staff cars.

>Richard
>(Southampton - England)

Feb 28 2000

Richard,
I think there is a misunderstanding: the car from the Canadian Museum is
NOT the 6-wheeled one! It is the 4 wheel black Mercedes "Grosse Mercedes"
mod. 770K, 1939. It was turbocharged and armored. There was a good
article in AFTER THE BATTLE magazine describing it (IIRC no. 35) with many
photos. Of course it was not (you and Andreas are right!) the personal car
of Hitler. He used, for obvious reasons!, more than one car. However, this
car was used very often (judging from the various pictures published in
A.T.B. magazine).
There is a similar black 1939 Mercedes preserved in a French Museum (sorry!
I do not have the name with me, but if you are interested I can post it
tomorrow). I only have a photo of it from an Italian magazine, no info
(where it comes from/captured, etc.) and perhaps, our French members may be
able to give some more info?

I am also interested in V.I.P. and Staff cars and try to get all the info I
am able to get for my file. I would like to add that I also collect 1/43
scale diecast models of them and the Italian manufacturer RIO still
produces a model of the 1939 black "Grosse Mercedes" 4 wheel car of Hitler
with nazi pennants on the fenders. RIO models are currently available in
the U.S. and U.K.
 A large format book on the Mercedes used before and during WWII has been
published last year. If interested just let me know.

Regards and
Get Them Rolling!

Raimondo - M.V.P.A. 15878
(Need for presents or collection decorative ceramics? For original Italian
ceramics of Capodimonte, please, check here: http://www.ceramicofnaples.it)