Re: [MV] HELP! Reality check on M8 Greyhound Purchase

From: Dean L. Kellogg, Jr (kelloggd@uthscsa.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 14:26:04 PST

Howdy Listees,

Well thanks to all for the thoughtful feedback. It will take me awhile to
go through it all, but soome interesting stuff has come to light....

1)I worked for Mr. Cors in the early '90s and restored a M8 that he sold but I
left the hydraulic gas pedal. There were a couple "scrape and paint" M8s
after that which were gone through and repaired as necessary. The later ones
did get the boat cable. I know at the time there were no problems with the
cars but that was ten years ago.

Obviously the one I looked at was a "scrape and paint" restoration. That
is more in keeping with what I found.

2)The "CASH ONLY" part....yes...cash...not a cashier's check...cash like
you would stick in your wallet (or purse).......

The owner expects the buyer to show up with actual physical dollar
bills....well maybe not in $1 increments....but not a cashier's check. He
states" a bank can cancel a cashiers check, so it could be no good." Any
buyer would have to drive to the owner's house and deliver the greenbacks
to the guy and take the vehicle...I do not think going on a plane would
work out too well....would you want to "check" a bag with that amount of
cash....or carry it on the plane and have it searched....could make for an
amusing tale....He intends to keep the cash at his house and use it as
needed to support his Model T hobby or for other uses.

3)Prior to the M8, the owner had an M5A1 that he restored himself. It was
really done right...stripped....sandblasted...painted...reassembled. He
drove it for a few years and wore out a set of treads. He bought a second
pair and put them on but decided that he wanted a vehicle with tires...so
he traded his truely restored M5A1 for what appears to be a "scrape and
paint" M8. He kept the title and registration for the M5A1 up and used
that plate on the M8 banking on the ignorance of any police officers who
stopped him (the M5A1 was registered as a Cadillac).

The owner now wants to get paid for the 3 years he spent restoring the
M5A1....when he sells the M8.....

This reality check has been MORE THAN HELPFUL. Sure wish the Form 6 ban
was off...

Nigel's post-

>I read with interest the comments posted on the M8
There is currently one advertised on www.milweb.net armor section for £5,000
UK Pounds, (that's around $8000 I think)
and at least one UK dealers have them for sale.Whether or not its affected
by the armor ban, might be worth considering as a cost comparison.
NIGE

WOW.....AND PER BRENT MULLINS IT COSTS LESS TO SHIP ACROSS THE ATLANTIC
THAT AROUND THE USA!

Thinking it all over,
dean

       * Dean L. Kellogg, Jr., MD, PhD *
       * Department of Medicine *
       * The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio *
       * 7703 Floyd Curl Drive *
       * San Antonio, Texas 78229-3900 *
       * (210) 617-5311 FAX (210) 617-5312 e-mail:kelloggd@uthscsa.edu *