Re: [MV] M-35 Overheating: Update

From: Jeffery S. Neer (JNEER@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 07:41:38 PDT

Ted,

I'll offer my red faced opinion.

I can't tell you how hot the engine got. I didn't pay attention to the
gauge. (First mistake.) I was losing antifreeze at the filler neck. I
"assumed" it was overheating. Later I realized that as I removed the cap
and fluid gushed out, that it wasn't actually very hot.
I have a sneaky suspicion it was a worn radiator cap all along.
Although everything I did subsequently ( thermostat, hoses and flushing
the system) probably needed to be done as a matter of maintenance. I
don't regret doing the work. Actually it was good experience.
As a licensed pilot you would think I would trust my instruments!

Thanks for your interest. I hope my embarrassing tale was helpful.

Regards,
Jeff