Re: [MV] Ferret fluid couple fluid?

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat May 13 2000 - 23:54:23 PDT

From: <LEEnCALIF@aol.com>
To: "Military Vehicles List" <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 14, 2000 1:08 AM
Subject: [MV] Ferret fluid couple fluid?

Jack,

> Ferret fluid coupler oil type? I'm not sure now.....
>
> My oil British Military to USA standard conversion table only said red
> hydraulic fluid. I know there are several varieties of red hyd. fluid,
ATF
> Dextron II, Type F.

They are referring to the "red" hydraulic fluid found in aircraft. The use
of anything other than _mineral_ hydraulic oil will lead to seal failure
within 24 hrs. Keep ATF and Dextron well away from it.

> Seems like last year I was advised to use just ordinary off the shelf
> hydraulic fluid as if filling a hydraulic ram or pump, but wanted to be
sure
> before adding any. Anyone have the answer?

Officially OM13. This is a MoD qualified ISO15 hydraulic oil (i.e. The same
as domestic stuff but with gobs of inspection and batch test paperwork with
an appropriate price tag)

Fuch's Lubricants, Silkolene 779 is a direct equivalent in price also but
commonly available, as used in every excavator, back-hoe, grab-truck etc.,
ISO 32 will be quite alright, Shell Tellus R 10, Shell Clavus 15, Fina
Cirkan 15 or their current replacements are all virtual equivalents.

It would seem the Mil used an uncommon ISO 15 hydraulic oil in vehicles of
this era because it was already a common stock item and afforded arctic
operation, the common ISO 32 is likely only fit for more temperate use but
we find it here at every motor factor outlet owing to the proliferation of
self load-handling hydraulic "arm" equipped trucks we have.

Note the ISO viscosity step size is tiny, not a bit like SAE grades so you
will be hard pushed to actually recognise any difference between 15 and 32,
I certainly can't with a jar of each side by side. In an emergency we were
obliged to fill a Ferret flywheel with ISO 46 as this was the only stuff to
hand, over a 30 mile run it behaved with no apparent difference.

Richard
Southampton - England