Re: [MV] Daily GPW question

From: fv74@altavista.net
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 07:40:31 PDT

Bob

The ammeter on your dash should show if your charging system is working or not. You can also check the battery voltage before you start the engine and check it again after you start it. The voltage should be higher when the engine is running. As for jump starting a 6 volt vehicle, it is a bad idea to use a 12 volt vehicle. I have done it in a pinch. One person holds the cables on only for the time it takes to start the vehicle. Expect sparks. I suspect you might be able to damage something, but I have been lucky so far starting old Ford tractors. My MB was converted to 12 volt when I bought it, so I left it that way. The 6 volt starter seems to be taking 12 volts without any problem. Please tell us how your shakedown run goes.

Dave Fillman
45 MB