Re: [MV] M151 Question

From: Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 09:42:50 PDT

--- MThom15@aol.com wrote:

> OK, I just purchased my first MV, a 70's M151 A2.
> Before I finally made my
> decision, I did quite a bit of research on the
> internet, books, and got the
> jeep manuals on CD. I found tons of info on it, but
> I have a few questions I
> couldn't find.
>
> If the gov't cuts up and crushes the jeeps before
> they can leave the base,
> why are there uncut jeeps (like mine) on the road?
+++++++++++
They sold them for a while before the "De-mil" went
into effect.

> I see many of them out on
> the road, and know a few people who have them. Did
> the gov't sell them
> uncut, then later stop?
++++++++
Yes.

  Does the gov't sell them to
> dealers/collectors fully
> functional?
+++++++++
No, only to DOD organizations and some museums.

 Is there any way to buy one from the
> gov't without them
> destroying it before giving it to you?
+++++++
Nope!

 If you
> purchase one that is already
> inoperable, will they let you take it for parts
> without destroying it, or
> will they still cut it?
++++++++++
Oh no,..... they won't cut it,....... YOU will!! And
they'll inspect it to see if you cut it well enough
and if not you'll cut it again! You'll also drain any
fluids out of it before you start and contain them
according to mil specs.

Of course, crushing with a bulldozer, or other, is
acceptable, too.

> You'll have to excuse my ignorance on the subject.
> I found lots of pictures
> on the internet of MUTT's leaving bases in peices,
> but no one said how to get
> one in one peice. Thanks.
+++++++
I saw hundreds of them at Griffiss AFB and Seneca Army
Depot waiting for the torch, some had NEVER been
used!! There were that many more at Ft. Drum and
Plattsburg AFB, too.

Does that paint the ugly picture accurately?

Joe