Re: [MV] Gear oil ?

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sun Jul 30 2000 - 09:03:26 PDT

Lehmans <lehmans@execpc.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have any comments about the "Slick50-like" gear oil I
> have seen?
>
> Good, Bad, Does not matter?

Dunno about their gear oil, but their engine oil additives are Bad:

    http://skepdic.com/slick50.html

Personally, I would not use that snake oil in any of my vehicles. I
stick with what the manufacturer recommends, and ignore contrary
advice from anybody who cannot present unambiguous results from
scientific tests. "My truck runs great", "truckers use it", etc. are
meaningless... your average trucker doesn't drive multiple identical
trucks under identical conditions with different oil additives, and
then completely dismantle every engine and gearbox to measure the
different wear effects, so his or her opinion on an oil additive has
no merit.

My recommendation: Use exactly what the lube order specifies for your
weather conditions.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/