Re: [MV] Yes, this is my final answer

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@lynx.bc.ca)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 08:08:17 PDT

At 07:33 AM 10/16/00 -0700, Enterprise B&B/Cayman Islands, BWI wrote:
>Dear Listers;
>
>The opinions totaled 100% for me to do my own paint job on my M37. I'm not
>going to be entering any competitions and so I don't need to spend around
>$1000 for a "factory" paint job (and I'm told those which came out of the
>factory weren't that good). I got a lot of good suggestions which are
>appreciated. I'm going to sort of split the difference using both a spray
>gun and a few cans of spray paint. I can's see a novice like me trying to
>do the interior w/the spray gun.

Actually, I'd do both in and out with the gun. Won't be a problem on an
M37 as long as you do a good masking job on windows, guages and
so forth - and, of course, take out the seats.

This might be incredibly basic, and forgive me if I sound condescending, but
the average spray gun has two knobs at the back - one controls the pattern
(goes from 'fan' to 'stream' - like those old garden-hose ends) and the other
controls the spray-rate. With practice, you can trim the gun down to spray
to the point where you actually have *more* control with the gun than
you do the average spray-bomb, with the added bonus of being able to
shoot paint at the extreme angles that most spray bombs don't like unless
they're absolutely full. Everyone's mileage-may-vary, but that's what
I found at any rate.

>I'm thinking of going with AERVOE paint (page #17 of current MV magazine)
>WWII OD which is a flat rather than a semi-gloss (#987/34087). I first
>thought about going to Home Depot and just getting a gallon mixed to a
>custom shade but even I know there is a difference between automotive paint
>and "regular" exterior flat.

A few things about the military paint colours. The FS 595 setup *usually*
means
that 14087, 24087 and 34087 would be the same colour, but with varying degrees
of gloss. Not so in this case. 34087 actually winds up a completely
different
colour, and not simply a 'flat' version of the semi-gloss 24087.

Secondly, I use Gillespie Coatings product for practically everything.
However,
in my opinion, their 24087 product is the _wrong colour_ when compared to the
vast majority of on-vehicle 24087 military paint-jobs I've seen on numerous
M-series vehicles (too 'brown', if you pin me down to it), and I find the
Aervoe 997A more representative of the norm. It's up to you, of course, but
I'd take off the blackout light bracket and have a look at the 'inside' of
it - that
is, next to the rubber pad it mounts up against - and use that as a 'factory'
colour sample (should you be interested in the 'factory' colour). If
you're so
inclined, you can take that and compare it to samples of the Gillespie and
Aervoe product, and decide from there.

My .02 cents

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211