Re: [MV] Diesel Fuel

From: Chris Ciesla (n2rdp@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 00:59:25 PST

>1) Diesel fuel has a maximum storage life of 1 year. Sta-Bil, a fuel
>additive that keeps fuel fresh in storage, will help diesel fuel also.

Actually, diesel fuel will keep indefinately by itself, however algae will
start to grow in the fuel and cause it to break down. If you have old diesel
fuel, you should run it through a filter before using it. Also, if your
diesel vehicle sits a lot, it is advisable to add an algaecide to the fuel.

>3) There is a difference in heat content between #1 and #2 diesel. #2
>produces noticably more power than #1, or blended fuel. That's why your
>diesel doesn't run as well in the winter. Of course, we have already >heard
>about gelling.

Yes, you get more power out of #2 than #1, however in the case where gelling
is a problem. Use #1 as your first choice for cold weather fuel, it gives
less power, but will not damage the engine.

>4) If you have a multifuel, why not run kerosene or gasoline in the
> >winter. You have a hardened injection pumps, so it won't hurt the >truck.
>Since my knowledge of multifuels is limited, perhaps an expert >could chime
>in.

K-1 Kersoene and #1 diesel are basically the same thing.

There is a sub-type of Multifuel engines which after being overhauled were
restricted to diesel fuel only. It doesn't have the hardened pump. The only
way to tell if you have one of these is that there is a decal on the oil
filter casing that says DIESEL FUEL ONLY.

As far as all the other Multifuel any grade of diesel is OK and gasoline
with an octane number less than 89. (source TM 9-2815-210-34 page 1-30)