Re: [MV] Tell me what you think.

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Sun Nov 12 2000 - 09:45:45 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Shoop" <shoop19@brick.net>
Sent: Sunday, November 12, 2000 3:42 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Tell me what you think.

> Don't forget the M114..............
>
> I have several of these transmissions in their origional storage cans as
> spares. I opened one last summer..and installed it.......fresh GI rebuild
> in Bobligan Germany in 1973..............works perfectly!....

Boeblingen must've been quite the overhaul depot in Germany, as the film
company holds three or so ex-CDN RCHA 5-Ton M54's repatriated from Germany
when Lahr and Baden-Solingen shut down that have "US MP BOEBLINGEN REBUILD
1973" on almost every major subassembly.

I guess these particular machines were either contracted out to the US Army
for heavier rebuilds, or were perhaps purchased by Canada in Germany from
U.S. Forces switching over to diesels (ours are all Continental gas-pots.)

As regards the hydramatics, some local rebuilder made a fortune off of the
local Militia units, as said rebuilder charged a flat-rate fee of something
like $2,000.00 for repairing broken transmissions, despite the fact that the
usual culprit was evidently some cheap little valve or other that was
notorious for failure.

On my old one, I think the new owners reported that there was a crack or
something which allowed coolant into the transmission oil and vice-versa,
and I was told by a military mechanic that this was a fairly common problem.
Anyone know the details of either failure? We've a bunch of M220/M135
trucks in the rental fleet, and I imagine either problem may come up sooner
or later.

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C.