Re: [MV] Hercules JXD engine "knock"

From: Robert Barber (rbarber41@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 08:31:53 PST

  Well an engine knock can be a number of things..

  Attach an oil pressure gauge to the motor and insure you have
  oil pressure. Pull the valve cover and make sure oil is reaching
  the valve train assemblies..

  Even if the motor was rebuilt, if it sat for some time
  and the oil pump was never primed or lost prime. You may
  have damaged either or both the main or connecting rod
  bearings.. Result. dammaged bearings / crankshaft

  Pistons are really barrel shaped. If the piston to wall
  clearance was not checked, and is too loose, you may be
  getting what is known as piston slap as the skirt of the
  piston bangs against the cylinder wall due to loose
  tolerances. Result scorred cylinder walls

  If the head or head mate surface of the motor block was
  machined to eliminate any warping. And the piston depth
  in the cylinder was not checked. And a thicker head gasket
  used to compensate for the reduced piston to head clearance
  was not used or no machineing and a wrong thinner head gasket
  used. You may have a piston to head clearance problem in which
  the piston is hitting the cylinder head..

  If someone goofed and dropped an extra lets say rod connecting
  rod bolt, nut in the motor.. or any foreign object that fell in
  during the rebuild..Or down the intake port same difference ..

  If they changed or reground the camshaft, it may be wrong
  and the valves may be hitting the pistons ..

   If the knock is not bad use a stethoscope to determine where
  in the motor the noise is coming from. If a bore scope is available
  pull the spark plugs and look in the cylinders. Drain the oil and
  look up in the crank case.. Filter the drain oil thru a paint
  funnel filter (available from any automotive paint store) look
  for any metal chips. Cut the oil filter apart and look for metal.
  If found the composition of the metal type will indicate the
  problem area.. Bearing material, aluminum.. pistons.. ect

  Next would be pull the oil pan to see whats happening.

  Other than that its pull the motor out of the vehicle and tear it
  down to find the problem...

                                   Bob B