Re: [MV] LST 325 arrival in Mobile

From: Edward Greeley (etgreeley@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Jan 06 2001 - 16:19:34 PST

Just a little correction from a living, breathing resident of Mobile. :)

First, please note that the Alabama State Docks (now called Port of
Alabama) is a semi-secure facility. The public must enter through the
Beauregard Street entrance, which is the main entrance. This is, in
fact, near the old, abandoned GM&O Railroad Terminal building. If coming
in on I-165, there are green signs at the end of I-165 which direct you
to the Beauregard St. entrance.

If coming from the east or west on I-10, take the Water St. exit and go
north on Water St. When you get to the GM&O building, turn right and
follow the signs.

It's Government, not Governor's, Street. Government St. runs east-west
and dead-ends at the Mobile River a half mile or more south of the State
Docks main entrance. If you find yourself on Government St., go
eastbound past the Bankhead Tunnel entrance and cross Royal St. You will
then come to Water St. just before you drive into the river, so turn
left on Water St. unless you have a DUKW!

When going north on Water St., either from I-10 or Government St., you
will pass the Adam's Mark Riverview Plaza Hotel on your left, and
directly across Water St. from the Adam's Mark is the Mobile Convention
Center, not the Civic Center which is some way from this area.

Good luck, and "y'all come!" Let's have a nice turnout for the old
sea-going MV and her crew.

Ed Greeley
Mobile, AL