Re: [MV] M-274 magnesium

From: Brandon K. (c322348@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 10:42:54 PST

Tig welding (GTAW) is normally used to weld magnesium.
The magnesium itself can catch fire if welded using a
gas torch. I've seen wonderful evidence of this while
playing with old Beechcraft Bonanza ailerons. The
shielding gas from the Tig welding operation prevents
this.

The M274-A5 has an aluminum deck, so this can be
welded using coated rod and a gas torch.

Of course you could always plug the holes using JB
Weld, but you ought to put a patch on the backside to
prevent the JB Weld from falling through. It depends
on the quality of restoration you are planning.

BK