Re: [MV] Mosquito vs. B-17G

From: Jay (dagobertii@home.com)
Date: Sun May 06 2001 - 19:27:58 PDT

One other important factor against mass-production of Mosquitos vs.
B-17s was the raw materials required. As it stood, we already used up a
lot of the Stika Spruce used in aircraft, which only grows in a limited
region of the west coast and Canada. To replace all those B-17s with
wooden aircraft would have decimated the species, and would not have
been nearly as practical in the same numbers as Boeing could produce
aluminum aircraft. Plus, while there were enough cabinet makers in
England for the Mosquitos made there, I wonder if we would have had that
kind of handmade workmanship available in the US- at least in large
enough numbers to meet the production demands?

However, the one thing I am suprised at is the fact that the Mosquito is
not a more popular choice among homebuilders of experimental WWII
replica aircraft. It would seem a natural, done in 7/8s scale, and
using converted Chevy big-block V-8s. Hmmm... Anyone have a set of
plans for one of these handy? :-)

Jay Travis