Re: [MV] Ammeter

From: John A. Hern Jr (hern@nidlink.com)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 11:04:49 PDT

John:

The only difference in a 6 volt ammeter and a 12 volt ammeter, might be
the range of the meter. That is, you might have a 60-0-60 ammeter for 6
volts, and a 30-0-30 meter for 12. The reason is, power (watts) = volts
x amps, so if you double your voltage, you can cut your current in half
to get the same power. And power is what operates your electrical
devices. Either ammeter will work fine, as long as the range of the
meter is suitable for your purposes. If you are pegging the meter under
normal usage, get a larger range meter. If you never see a readable
deflection, get a smaller meter.

And yes, if the system is operating normally, just reverse the
connections if your reading is backwards. The best test would be to
turn on the lights with the engine off. You should see a discharge,
obviously.

Good luck.

John

My local parts dealer didn't have a