Re: [MV] Ammeter

From: John A. Hern Jr (hern@nidlink.com)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 11:12:14 PDT

Close, but no cigar. You're thinking of the way a voltmeter works. A
voltmeter is really a milliammeter with a series resistor. The unit is
connected in parallel with the load. An ammeter is connected in series
with the load. An instrument quality ammeter is usually also a
milliameter, but with a shunt that allows only a very small amount of
current to pass through it - most of the current goes through the shunt
to the load.

So, what to do if you have a voltmeter set up for 12 volts and you want
to read 6? Chances are, it will have a 6 volt mark on it; but if what
you really want is full scale reading at 6 volts, you can get it by
changing the series resistor. Trial and error on the resistor value
with an accurate source or an accurate meter will do the trick, and
you'll also have to recalibrate the dial. So, unless you have nothing
to do with your time, or can't get a proper meter, it's easier to buy
the right range voltmeter.

John