Re: [MV] Need V-belts. Hard to find. For Saracen

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 21:36:32 PDT

Jim,

> I need to find two belts for the Saracen. They are apparently an odd
>size ( oh, THAT'S never the case with a 50 year old foreign military
>vehicle, is it??). The length along the back is 53.25 inches, and the
>width is 13/16". We can probably use a 7/8" wide belt, too. The length
>may be a little different, though.
> Here's what WON'T work: NAPA belts. The nearest sizes are 53 and
>55.125, in a 7/8" wide belt. Too short and too long. We need something
>inbetween those sizes.
> Can anybody help locate suitable V-belts? The numbers printed on the
>belt are ancient British FV numbers, and don't show up in anybody's
>books.

I have my Gates book here. Your right, under the "Automotive Belts Listed
By Width and Lengths" section there are no 13/16 belts even close and under
7/8" there are the two listed above with nothing in between. There are some
3/4" belts that migth work:

Gates #523 3/4"W x 53-3/8"L
Gates #628 3/4"W x 54-3/8"L

But, there is another section called "Gates Special Belts Listed By Width
and Length". Now in here I think there is something that might work.

Gates #5503 13/16"W x 52"L
Gates #5520 13/16"W x 53"L
Gates #5511 13/16"W x 54"L
Gates #5513 13/16"W x 55"L

Nothing else in that section is even close.

There are some other sections for industrial belts as a "C" belt is close
(0.88"W), but nothing between 53 and 55.

good luck,

je