Re: [MV] Urban legend or not? trenches of parts, long

From: Dave Reed (dave.reed@dol.net)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 07:13:59 PDT

Hi Daryl-
I was talking with a vet that was at Aberdeen Proving Ground quite a few years
 ago after WWII and he vividly relayed to me a similar scene that happened
there. He said that he saw several long deep trenches about the same 35-40
foot wide and 15-20 feet deep in the woods. The scene gets more
interesting as there were CCKW's backing up to the trench and
GI's were throwing off all manner of new items that were shipped
back from the European bases after the war was over and the boys
came home. Some items directly described were large unused
O.D tarpaulins 20 x 40 feet size and larger, complete toolboxes of
hand tools, drills, and machine tools and just about anything that
came out of the ships. There may have been vehicle parts that
went into the trench but I think all vehicles were saved out
separately and parked in remote locations for further disposition as
target fodder or re use. It was most vividly described to me as
there was an MP standing at the trench with a Thompson MG.
The MP was supposedly given orders to shoot anyone that tried to
retrieve any item from the trench. As far as I know the trenches
are still holding their same contents as 55 years ago after being
covered with dirt. Anybody got a metal detector? Before
anybody gets up on the soap box and flames Uncle Sam please
remember that these "wastes" of the taxpayers money were what
caused the Surplus property sales programs to the public that
came into being in the 50's. This evolved into the DRMO/DRMS
and later into todays animal that has evolved to sell surplus to the
public today. Because the military has these surplus programs
we are able to legally purchase and own some of the old stuff to
use for fun or profit. This makes our hobby possible.
Unfortunately "rules" dictate mutilation of some items as already
thrashed to death in previous threads. Anybody else seen
"trenches" of NOS stuff on bases? I'm sure that most bases had
at least one trench over the years.
Dave Reed Elkton MD
M38A!
M416
Lots of tractors and generators and stuff.