Re: [MV] Possibly OT: Opinions, please?? Local "code enforcement" idiots t...

From: Jumpmaster (the_real_jumpmaster@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 21:30:36 PDT

davidcole@tk7.net writes:
> <<
> If all of this bullshit continues, and their seems
> to be no end in sight, get
> minimal insurance and buy plates, then drop the
> insurance. You are only
> required to have insurance while operating a motor
> vehicle in most states.
> You don't have to have insurance while not
> operating a vehicle.

This is an excellent idea and is what I've done in
years past...your other ideas are outstanding also! I
don't think there are neighbors complaining (the code
enforcement people denied this when I asked and said
even if there were, they wouldn't tell me who was
complaining...) I have another good idea along your
lines. I should get that piece-of-crap car and park
it in front of the code-enforcement idiot's house!
Maybe another one in front of the Fire Marshall's!
(He was quite the ass today when I spoke with him...)

I could probably get two running ones pretty cheap and
with the careful and diligent application of a few
randomly-colored cans of Krylon, I could really mess
with them. It would be legal too as long as they had
valid registration and insurance. They'd probably
offer me a deal that they wouldn't screw with me any
more if I just get the cars out of their neighborhood.
 :-) (Now THAT would be fun!)

M35products@aol.com wrote:
> Perhaps there is a state, say, Florida, where I
> understand that there are no more vehicle
> inspections, where a company could be set up to
> service folks who find themselves in this or similar
> predicaments. "Register that old car in my
> mailbox" sort of thing.

I wish this were so...I'd rather pay $60.00 or so
out-of-state than to have to give in to these people.
Some have e-mailed other very good ideas such as a
temporary "garage" enclosure. I would have to check
with the property-owner to see if this would be ok.
(I usually sign a multiple-year lease on the house I'm
in, but the landowner can be funny sometimes...even
though he lives several hundred miles away...)

Someone else had asked me what they would do if this
were a race car or non-street-legal show car. I'd
asked them this in the past and they say the only way
to comply is to screen it from public view. I don't
think they understand exactly why the law was written.
 What if I did have a restored show car that didn't
happen to be street legal but had won innumerable
best-in-shows? It would be considered a "junk motor
vehicle"?? It's silly...

> I believe that you will prevail, but must strongly
> agree with the advice that everything must be in
> writing. That is the concept that calls the bluff of

> most over-zealous officials, especially those with,
> how best to say, "stick-shift envy".
>
> Good Luck, we are all rooting for you. A P Bloom

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I did talk to
the City Attorney today and advised him that I would
appreciate his interpretation in writing. He declined
to do this. I have an appointment with the University
attorney (provided for counsel with TAMU students)
tomorrow afternoon...I'll let you know the final
outcome...

Thanks again...

T. Bloxom