Re: [MV] MUTT Problems

From: Brandon K. (c322348@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2001 - 16:56:23 PDT

Matt,

I had problems like this with my AMG A2. The fuel
filter kept getting clogged (the one at the
carburetor) from some dirt in the tank.

The fuel filter on the carburetor is under capacity.
That is the problem. It is so fine of a mesh that it
clogs easily. Mine would jam up so tight with
particles that a fuel pressure gauge I had teed into
the line between the pump and the filter would
indicate pressure for quite a while with the engine
shut off. After sitting for maybe 15 minutes, enough
pressure would bleed off that the particles would drop
off the filter element and allow fuel flow again.
Start it up again, and the filter might clog again in
just a few minutes, or maybe not for an hour!

I placed an aftermarket clear plastic see through
paper element fuel filter in the line between the pump
and the carburetor filter. That filter eventually
clogged (after about 50 miles), but I kept spares in
the jeep so I just changed it and everything was fine
again after that.

With the fuel return system on the smog A2's, fuel
pressure should drop almost instantly to zero when you
shut the engine off. There is an orifice in the
carburetor that vents fuel back to the tank
continuously to keep enough fuel flowing through the
lines to preclude vapor lock. The high flow rate with
that system bleeding pressure off is what drags so
much garbage through the system so fast and clogs
things up.

You can confirm what I'm saying by teeing in a
pressure gauge as I've indicated between the
carburetor and the fuel filter for a couple of trips
around the block (or just idling).

It isn't the coil and it isn't the carburetor... I
replaced those on mine to no avail.

Brandon