Re: [MV] RE SB1438--Action needed now.

From: HUNTER_1L56@att.net
Date: Sat Oct 06 2001 - 10:36:15 PDT

I am writing you today to voice my strong opposition to
the wording and intent of the following bills in their
entirety. I oppose this legislation as being
unnecessary, costly and, in general, an insult to the
Americans that have, and are now serving, in the armed
forces of the United States. Many of us served this
country proudly and have chosen to continue our patriotic
commitment by owning, maintaining and displaying some of
the items we used to defend our nation. I submit these
items have posed absolutely no threat to this nation,
other nations or public safety in any manner. Especially
in this time of crisis, the passing of these bills would
undermine the sanctity of our constitution and the
premise of what this country was founded upon. Further,
it would alienate the very people that have been, and
continue to be, the mainstay of our society. I would
further suggest the entire "demil" program is flawed and
should be re-evaluated and discontinued. I realize the
government is concerned about military hardware being
utilized by other governments or entities unfriendly to
our cause. I would point out, there already exists a
network of loyal Americans standing by and ready to
assist, and insure, such property is handled and
maintained in the best interest of this country.
Additionally, they are willing to do it for no charge to
our government, and at the same time, make additional
funds available to expand our current military
capability. It only requires the government to show
faith in its citizen's ability to continue their
patriotic duty. Please feel free to contact me, as I
would be grateful for the opportunity to discuss this
vitally important issue as it effects not only the
funding for our military, but also the morale of our
service people and citizens.

                  Yours Truly,

 I oppose the wording in Section 1062 of Senate Bill
1438. This section also
 Appears in Senate Bills 1419 and 1416. Section 1062
also appears in S.1155
 As Section 921. I recommend Section 1062 be removed
from S.1438. It should
 Be removed from all other versions of the Bills.

 This text, the "AUTHORITY TO ENSURE DEMILITARIZATION OF
SIGNIFICANT MILITARY
 EQUIPMENT FORMERLY OWNED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE"
appears in the
 following Bills:

 S.1438 -- National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal
Year 2002
 [S.1438.PCS],
 S.1419 -- Department of Defense Authorization Act for
Fiscal Year 2002
 [S.1419.PCS],
 S.1416 -- National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal
Year 2002
 [S.1416.PCS], and
 H.R. 2586 -- National Defense Authorization Act for
Fiscal Year 2002
 [H.R.2586.RH]

 The text of this Section is the same as that removed
from last year's Floyd
 D. Spence National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal
Year 2001
 [H.R.4205.RH].