Re: [MV] FW: Re: [MV] Sme demilled weaponry.

From: islander (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 19:34:23 PDT

Thanks Ryan for the update. Gee... maybe we wouldn't be in such a
"panic" if the language was specifically targeted towards the things he
told you about. I don't think civilians have any business getting their
hands on missile guidance systems any more than Sen. Levin, so I'm not at
all happy to hear that the DoD can't keep track of this stuff! So I am
in favor of them doing something about it. But fer God's sake, tighten
up the language and the definitions so that it doesn't potentially apply
to a pair of GI socks as well as a thermonuclear warhead!

>It makes the exemption for things like WWII aircraft or Civial War
>cannons, but nothing about a Sherman or a M114.

I suspect that it is typical "duh, we didn't think of that" stuff going
on for some, deliberate underhandedness for others. Especially regarding
firearms. However, I sincerely doubt that any Senator would admit that
they think the government should be wasting its valuable time and
resources (OUR resources!!) coming to collect a 50 year old 4x4 truck so
it can be destroyed. Which gets me back to the "duh" part of my previous
statement.

Recently in Maine we had a piece of crap put before us voters that was
designed to go after the half dozen or so big paper companies' "misuse"
of the forest. However, the dummies that drafted the thing worded it so
badly that it would basically make small land owners, of which there is
over 100,000 of us, equally screwed even though we aren't part of the
bigger problems the referendum was aimed at. Pardon the pun, but these
guys couldn't see the forest through the trees. I know they didn't
intend to burdon the small land owners, but the poorly written language
would have had that effect.

>Again, it has vague
>language that allows for the SecDef to get nasty. Naturally its open
>to the winds of change and fiat of the current administration.

Yup, and that is something we unfortunately must keep in mind. With or
without this legislation becoming law, this is always the case. Still,
it isn't stopping me from enjoying my hobby. Just bought $300 worth of
bearings and just cut two checks for another two M29Cs and a M101 trailer.

Steve