Re: [MV] Ferret fluids... Re: [MV] [MVlist] Re: [MV] Deuce Transmission / Transfer case Fluid

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 15:21:05 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Gill" <rmgill@mindspring.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2001 4:31 AM
Subject: [MV] Ferret fluids... Re: [MV] [MVlist] Re: [MV] Deuce Transmission /
Transfer case Fluid

> At 10:59 PM +0000 12/5/01, Richard Notton wrote:
> >
> >And just make sure you don't ever put 90EP in the _gearbox_ or ATF
> >in the torque
> >converter.
>
> Hydraulic fluid in the fluid coupling and SAE 30 in the engine and
> the gear box.

Yup, mineral hydraulic oil in the fluid flywheel, officially OM13 which is
Aeroshell #1 or Silkolene 779, but hugely cheaper and obtainable is any ISO 15
hydraulic oil. (Shell Tellus 15). Torque converters are extremely tolerant of
viscosity, the ISO grade steps are small and we have run them on ISO 46.

Detergent SAE 30 is fine (and originally specified) in the engine and gearbox,
however for the engine _alone_, a modern 15W/40 may be quite acceptable, if at
all possible get the makers labs to confirm its a multigrade by refining not by
additive, mention metallic ash and they will know what you're talking about
immediately.

> Now, the brake fluid has me wondering which is correct. One person
> told me DOT 5 (silicone only) the web sites say DOT 4 or Hydraulic
> fluid depending on whats already in there....

Yes, most Ferrets were converted (from OM 13) to "brake fluid" OX 8 which is DOT
3/4, hydraulic oil brake components were marked with a splash of green paint,
which is handy when they got sprayed green all over in manufacture.

A previous owner might have flushed and filled with DOT 5 silicone, beware.

With all the usual warnings, it hasn't killed me yet, taste a _tiny_ smear on a
finger, mineral hydraulic oil tastes, well, like oil; brake fluid certainly
doesn't.

Richard
Southampton - England