Re: [MV] photos of mil-veh @ NARA

From: Richard Lathrop (lathrrs@snip.net)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 00:22:19 PST

I agree with Jim on the digging for photos. This is typically why you see the same photos over and over again in publications. Typically the National Archives has a list of photos they pull when someone asks for photos of a jeep or whatever.

Remember that your vehicle can show up in action shots, shots around bases, certain activities, what have you.

I will give you an good example.

While I was at the National Archives searching for some other photos I came across a photo of new M601's Power Wagons lined up outside of a shop in South America. They were sitting on telephone pole stumps to keep the tires off the ground.

The title on the photo was Military Aid to Boliva I believe and was part of a series on training and equipment sent there.

The point is that you never know what you are going to find until you dig. Also not every photo is in the contact boxes, sometimes all they have is a negative on file and you have to take a leap of faith and order a copy and hope it has what you are looking for.

One good thing about looking through all those boxes is you really start to get a feel for what it was like back then and can pick up on photo trends. When I was going through the Signal Corps photos from Vietnam seems every other photo was of captured arms caches. After awhile you got the feeling that the Army was judging its success by how much material it captured.

Rick

From: jim gilmore <jgilmore@ptd.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 22:52:16 -0500